Friday, April 17, 2009

Life...

As I write this, I'm sitting in a hotel in Houston mentally preparing for doing the wedding for my nephew. He's a lawyer here in Houston, about to marry a lady with a PhD in Chemistry. (how DO these people FIND each other) They're a cute couple, young and full of life. They are deeply in love and are so excited about their new life together.

Interestingly enough, they MET as he was coming out of a very tenuous period in his life...a brush with cancer. That brush with mortality changed him. I think that kind of experience always has an effect on us. Perhaps more so when it happens when we're young.

Young people tend to live as if they're bulletproof. Impervious to life's gravest onslaughts. But then it happens...the C-word shows up and all bets are off. For him it's caused him to slow down and enjoy the simple things. Like camping...for their wedding they registered at REI, the outdoors store. Could have been Nieman Marcus or Macy's. But no...REI.

Another thought-provoking thing about all this...as I stand to lead them through the service tomorrow, I'll be flashing back to the day when HE was the ring-bearer at MY wedding...and slowly began to undress right there in the wedding party in the MIDDLE of the wedding. Only the stern look from a groomsman caused him to stop with his shirt and pants still in place. So funny.

As a family we've lost some folks since that wedding years ago. My in-laws both passed away 5 years ago. My maternal grandmother passed away 2 years ago. At the same time, my granddaughter was born a little over 2 years ago.

I guess all this just stands to remind me that life passes...quickly. ON the plan yesterday I read a book all the way through. The book was called The Noticer. It caused me to think...if we're smart...we spend our lifes not just doing...but noticing. Noticing others. Noticing God's goodness. Noticing the ebb and flow of life.

So...over the next 36 hours as Jeremy and Marcelle say "I do" I'll be noticing...and marveling at life.

No comments: