Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hiding Behind the Hassle

I'm tired of the way I've done Christmas in the past.

I'm tired of facing the season with fear and dread.

I'm tired of seeing the holiday as anything but holy.

I'm tired of missing out on the mystery and the wonder of a story so unbelievable that only God could conceive it.

So this is the year things change.

This is the year I go back to experiencing it as a child...or at least with a child-like heart.

This is the year I find joy in the small things, the simple things.

This is the year I stop to marvel at the miracle of those around me...all bearing the image of their Creator. All amazing. All precious.

This is the year that I wait in hushed stillness for Immanuel to come anew in me. God with us. Awe inspiring. Humbling.

Immanuel...it makes me a bit self-conscious as I move through my day...God is with us...with ME. Hiding behind the hassle no more. The hassle has become more evidence that this world needs Jesus...Immanuel...God with us.

God is not hiding...He's never hidden. Only from those who refuse to see.

May this be the year that the mystery and wonder dawns anew...to us all.

2 comments:

His Synamon Girl said...

Being jobless this year has definitely put Christmas in a whole new perspective. I am actually glad for the fact that we WONT go overboard with spending on gifts. We have become more creative, thoughtful and PERSONAL with our gifts that we'll give. Also, I think it has made us more open hearted and less selfish this year. I doubt we would have been as jubilant to be serving Christmas dinner to the less fortunate on Christmas day.

Ben says Bah Humbug. ;)

MissTee said...

We are actually dealing with unemployment this year as well and I think it was absolutely the gift we didn't ask for. Having this unexpected time off has strengthened our relationship with God and having less money has redirected our focus this Christmas on Christ, our Savior.
This year my husband and I will have less money than we've ever had and the same is true for our families. But it's turning out to be the best Christmas ever. :)