Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ahhh...Christmas!

Christmas is different once the kids have grown. The kids still come. And it's still a blast to bless each other with gifts we've actually THOUGHT about. But it's different.

Last year it was different in that I was struggling with severe depression. I just wanted it over. I struggled to be relational (and civil).

As I move through this Christmas morning, I am more reflective this year. The cloud of depression has mercifully lifted. And I find myself thinking back on the year...and many friends.

The faces of friends from a little village outside Nairobi, Kenya...Gatanga (Robert the prophet, George the entrepreneur, Samuel the pastor, Michael the builder, Jeri -single mother of three, Edwin the pastor, Elizabeth the student, others). The church there. The daycare and it's many wonderful children and care givers. My Kenyan friend Daniel, pstor, prophet, dreamer, who opened the door for the adventure there by 'giving me' land.

The faces of those in Malawi (William, Evans, others) and my dear friend Senior Pastor of Grace Community Church - East Africa, Rogers with whom such a powerful partnership has developed.

I think of others in Africa like Pastor Kofi outside Accra,Ghana with who we have yet to see how the partnership will form.

I think of a young pastor in Germany named Markus and his wife Glady and the amazing work they are doing there around Cologne in spite of much resistance.

I think of friends in New Mexico who I miss terribly today.

I think of my POE brothers scattered around North America with whom I am humbled and grateful to share life.

I think of my boating friends in Houston whom I treasure and miss.

I think of my family in Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia. How blessed I am to be a part of that family that has for decades known God's rich favor.

And I think of the many folks at GCC Winchester and soon-to-be Strasburg. Huge heart...amazing passion for God and people. How very blessed to know them, to serve them, to do life with them.

If Christmas is about gifts (like the greatest...Jesus) then I've listed just a few of my greatest gifts...gifts that have made this year rich beyond compare.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: